On June 29th, 1954 the USSR Council of Ministers adopted a resolution on the construction of the complex of higher education institutions in Khabarovsk: Automobile Highway Institute, Institute of Forest Engineering and Institute of Civil Engineering. At the beginning of 1956 the USSR Ministry of Higher Education ordered to start the construction of the first part of the complex - Automobile Highway Institute and appointed A.S. Kudrin as the first Director of the constructed complex of higher educational institution.
On March 29th, 1958 Ministry of Higher Education of the USSR released an order №351 by which Khabarovsk Automobile Highway Institute was created. M.P. Danilovskiy was appointed as its first President.
At first year 150 students applied for the programs of higher education. The admission was carried out in 4 specialties:
- industrial and civil engineering,
- motor roads,
- motor transport,
- constructional and road machines and equipment.
M.P. Danilovskiy was the first chairman of the admissions committee. The organization of admission in the institute exceeded all expectations, the competition for applicants was higher than in KHIRE (2 people per site). 111 people of 150 admitted to the first year came from the industry and after military service, seven women joined the fellowship of the first students, and it is noteworthy that among the freshmen there was a citizen of North Korea's Lee Cher Soo.
The first President – Mikhail Pavlovich Danilovskiy
Huge chapter, thirty years of history, is dedicated to life of the university under the supervision of its first President - Danilovskiy Mikhail Pavlovich (1921-1995). He was a man of great strength of will, of high honesty. He had won the respect of Khabarovsk citizens with his boundless talent, energy, love for his native Far Eastern region, and his multi-faceted socially significant activities.
In 1993 he was awarded the title: "Honorary President of KSUT" and in the same year he was honored with the title: "Honorary Citizen of Khabarovsk". All this is a tribute of respect to the man who succeeded in difficult and, sometimes, critical years; he was able to keep the deep conviction that a better future of the country is connected with the creation of a better present for the youth.
Since his early years, M.P. Danilovskiy has had a distinguished commitment and a sense of true patriotism. Native Far Eastern man, born in vil. Gorno-Anan'evka, Primorsky Kray, after graduating from high school in Khabarovsk, he entered the Novosibirsk Institute of Military Railway Engineers, but studies were interrupted by the war. Volunteer in 1941, he goes from college to the front, gets involved in the greatest battles of World War II – battle of Moscow and battle of Stalingrad. After being wounded, despite the requests to return him to the front, M.P. Danilovskiy was sent to the rear, to Kazan Tank School. After his studies, he was preparing officers for the front. In 1947, after demobilization he returned to his native place, worked as an engineer in Khabarovsk regional forestry department. In 1952, M.P. Danilovskiy performed his plan: he successfully graduated from Khabarovsk Institute of Railway Engineers and started his postgraduate studies.
Outstanding qualities, talent and perseverance allowed young teacher to become a head of the chair in KHIRE just two years after completing his postgraduate studies. Energetic leader with organizational skills, business acumen, with ability to work with people and achieve his goals, he was noticed by party leadership and government bodies. On their initiative, his candidacy was considered and approved by the USSR Ministry of Higher Education as the President of Khabarovsk Automobile Highway Institute under construction. By order of the Minister of Higher Education of the USSR №100-k on April 10th, 1958 M.P. Danilovskiy was appointed as President of KHAHI.
From that day on the whole life of the first President was connected to the victories and failures, successes and difficulties, to everyday life and holidays of home Institute. He matured and improved his talent as an organizer, leader, scholar and teacher within it walls. In 1960, M.P. Danilovskiy defended his thesis and was awarded the degree Candidate of Technical Sciences. In January 1973, the Higher Attestation Commission approved M.P. Danilovskiy at the rank of Professor of the chair "Building constructions". For his productive activity, merit for the Motherland Mikhail Pavlovich Danilovskiy was awarded with Order of the "Badge of Honor" (1961), was awarded twice with the Order of the Red Banner of Labor (1967, 1971), The Order of the Patriotic War (1st class), with the medal "For Courage" and commemorative medals. Later Professor M.P. Danilovskiy added rewards for peaceful labor, as he kept honestly serving his people until the last days of his life.
Khabarovsk Automobile Highway Institute
On March 29th, 1958 Ministry of Higher Education of the USSR released an order №351 by which Khabarovsk Automobile Highway Institute was created. M.P. Danilovskiy was appointed as its first President.
At first year 150 students applied for the programs of higher education. The admission was carried out in 4 specialties: industrial and civil engineering, motor roads, motor transport, constructional and road machines and equipment.
Five years later, in 1963, first engineers graduated from the university.
The first graduation was implemented by 16 ministries and departments 160 of 171 students joined the enterprises and construction sites of the Far East, 11 took the first steps in the system of higher education.
The first graduates have become major business leaders in industry, construction, transport; have become heads of various government structures. Among them G.M. Bukhtoyarov, was head of the Institute "Soyuzgiprovodkhoz", V.G. Smetanko - head of production department of "Habarovskavtodor", A.F. Chernov - general manager of the trust "Primorskstroytrans", N.M. Nikitin - Director of the Sakhalin branch of "Giprovodkhoz", S.S. Klimenko - chief engineer of the DSU-1 PU of "Habarovskavtodor", M.A. Shvarev - Head of the Institute 'Tiprolestrans "and many others.
Some linked their lives to higher education. Those are Associate Professors N.A. Rybak, A.N. Stepanenko, Y.M. Doyhen, I.L. Skidan, G.B. Gorelik, who became the first Ph.D., A.M. Pulyaevsky, N.A. Pashkova, V.M. Chebotar, Y. Bashkin, Professor V.I. Korobko, Professor V.N. Antonets who became the first Doctor of Sciences, State Prize winner.
Going back to the first days and months of teaching activities of the Institute, it must be said, that the main concern of management that days, was building strong faculty staff. Establishment of the institute was accompanied by large organizational and practical activities on the formation of an active and effective working team of teachers, scientists and leading experts. The first teachers were M.P. Danilovskiy, N.P. Parfenov, L.M. Nishnevich, G.P. Sobin, L.I. Zagulyaeva, L.A. Yakovleva, T.M. Martynova, L.K. Melnikova, G.G. Zolotnitskaya, A.S. Kudrin, K.B. Kurenschikov, A.Z. Morozov. In the early years the team has significantly replenished with scientists, teachers of different disciplines. Among those who came to the institute were B.A. Derevyankin, V.I. Surnina, V.A. Medvedev, V.V. Cherkasov, G.A. Karjakin, R.S. Trynt, M.I. Pozdnjakov and many, many more.
In 1959 Valentina Ivanovna Surnina came to work in KHAHI. The first chair of social science teachers was created under her supervision, serious scientific and pedagogical team was built, significant contribution to the creation of the foundation of liberal education, youth education, the organization of social and political life was made.
The Institute was growing very quickly both in the literal and figurative words. In 1958 there were 14 people of the teaching staff, teaching and support - 7, managerial - 21. A year later, the number of staff positions has increased, respectively 50, 16 and 51. Admission of students in 1959 was increased to 450 people, and 52 students were enrolled in Spasskii training and consulting center.
The life of growing stuff team, personnel and students was filled with bright dreams and harsh reality, grandiose plans and daily chores, indomitable energy of students and small tragedies examinations, but most importantly, they had a common home - home institution, and they were building it with their own hands.
In 1959, it was planned to put into operation some new facilities: the boiler room, treatment facilities, outside water supply system, mains electricity and district heating, and a number of other important ones. Despite the best efforts of management, construction and installation works were not fully carried out. There were not enough iron pipes, cement, and much more. Downtime and rush jobs were not allowing the Building Trust in 1960, to use all capital investments, and then the group of students decided: to dedicate the summer of 1960 to the construction of the institute. Teacher also worked during their holydays. 15 thousand person-days were worked out at the construction site with the effective output of the commodity.
At the cost of considerable effort, with a deep understanding of the committed, the team participated in the construction of the alma mater along with the builders. Everybody was happy for each constructed facility, whether academic building or dining room, gym or sports ground. In 1960, the institute had a library with a book capacity of 35 thousand copies. Elena Davydovna Bass was the first director of the library, she gathered the team around her, bit by bit creating a unique book collection of the university.
The Institute was gradually acquiring its modern features, which greatly affected the quality of its content: it was getting crowded, younger, was taking more and more high school graduates of the region. By 1961, the central academic building came into operation; the right wing of the main building was under construction. During 6 years of construction 7749.3 thousand rubles were spent, representing 95.7 percent of the plan, the readiness of the Institute as a project under construction was 60.7 percent.
Of course, the life of the Institute was affected by the difficulties of the mechanism of directive-planned economy, interagency disunity, organizational and managerial restructuring of the governing party and economic agencies. But the most important thing has been done, the institution lived a full, meaningful life. The management principles of training-methodical and scientific research institute have been laid.
N.P. Parfenov (1915-1981) - the first Vice President for Academic Affairs and Research made a significant contribution to the establishment of the traditions of fruitful activity of the future center of education and science. After completing his postgraduate studies at the Leningrad Institute of Railway Engineers at the chair of Theoretical Mechanics and brilliant dissertation defense in 1951, he was appointed to Khabarovsk. Behind his back he had a work activity since he was 15-year-olds, the arrest of his brother, he served in the army during the war, had many years of study and ahead – was the creation of a new school in the Far East. In KHIRE, where he worked at first, he was noticed by M.P. Danilovskiy. Later he was invited to work in KHAHI as Deputy Director of Education and Research. That was in 1958. N.P. Parfenov was appointed as the First Vice President for Academic Affairs and Research. He gave more than 20 years of his life to the development of the institute. Teachers, students, and staff always respected the outstanding leader and a talented scientist and warmly remembered him even when Nikolay Prokhorovich returned to his native Leningrad in 1978.
Research activities were launched in 1959. At their origins were Associate Professors N.P. Parfenov, L.M. Nishnevich, M.F. Kanunnikov, N.A. Rogozin, G.A. Karjakin, etc.
A program of scientific research was entirely oriented towards the local resources to the greatest effect of their use. In terms of state-funded research the first topic was developed: "Study of the recovery of magnetite deposits of Garinsky field with hydrocarbon gases from Khabarovsk Oil Refinery" and "Investigation of possible ways of rational use of sponge iron in the production of steel." Scientists began to lead the contract works in the institute since 1960, they have passed 5 topics. The main directions of research concerned the problems of road services, engines workflow, methods of bored piles, isothermal hardening of the iron and a number of others. In 1961 KHAHI was developing 21 state budgetary contracts and 5 contract works. In 1962 62 people were engaged in scientific work in the field of state-funded research and 21 in the field of economic contracts.
Since 1960, KHAHI began expanding the field of training activities. The evening department of the institute was opened in Blagoveshchensk, in the following 1961 82 engineers, subs-time students from other schools received diplomas, in 1962 - 90. At the same time, professional development for building specialties began to take the form. For 8 months 60 students were gaining new knowledge through evening classes.
The admission of students in all forms of education was successfully implementing. During the early years the admission was carried out in 4 specialties, since 1960 - in 5, since 1962 - 10, and totally 1550 students were accepted in. By 1962, there were 5 faculties in KHAHI: construction (1958), mechanical and automobile (I960), motor roads and forest engineering (1962). There was a need align the formal title of KHAHI with the reality, as it grew out of its first departments into Polytechnic.
Khabarovsk Polytechnic Institute
By resolution of the Central Committee of the CPSU and the USSR Council of Ministers № 737-311 of July 12th, 1962 Khabarovsk Automobile Highway Institute was reorganized in Khabarovsk Polytechnic Institute and M.P. Danilovskiy was appointed as its first President.
The development plans of KHPI tended to keep steady growth in student numbers. Only on the internal department planned to admit in 1963 - 1050 students; in 1964 – 1275; in 1965 – 1300 students.
Plans have been significant, and, most importantly, they have implemented. In the meantime, the students developed a life according to the laws of pioneers. They had their first exams, sport events, opened first choir, the first hostel as it is remembered by veterans with quality furnishings and even carpets. And with them, too, the first dean was real luck. Leonid Nishnevich (1924) was a man of high culture, a brilliant storyteller and lecturer, sensitive to the problems of students, a great organizer. A native of Rostov-on-Don, during the war he went to the Far East and tied it with his life.
He came to KHAHI in 1958, an experienced teacher, candidate of technical sciences, after 12 years of work in KHIRE. He was among those who created the Institute, taught and brought up his first students. L.M. Nishnevich produced a generation of professionals, working as Deputy Head of the Department of Geodesy, Associate Professor of chair "Geodesy and research." His name is among whose names are written in the history of the University in golden letters. First students had their first teachers, among them the first curator of the Institute of Gennady Smirnov, his students - the students of the group number 11 - still can meet him at the university. After graduation from the railway institute, he began his career on the virgin soils of Kazakhstan, and in 1959, came home in Khabarovsk and decided to work in the new institute, where, later on, he has been Deputy Director of the Institute of Architecture and Construction for a long time.
First students still remember the first chairman of the student household council F. Savchuk, and strict party secretary A.Z. Morozov, who during the difficult years of the establishment of the institute showed they care and attention.
As time went on, in 1963, one-third of the institute was put into operation, right wing of the building was ready, hydraulics lab, surveying lab, thermal engineering lad were put into operation. Laboratory of building materials, soil science, technologies, metals, construction and road machines have been expanded. The volume of research works, conducted by the Institute for 5 years on topics of economic contracts increased in 13 times. Work for mills “Daldiesel”, “n.a. Gorky”, “Energomash”, association “Amurles”, construction companies were carried out. In 1964 as a result of contractual works 95.4 thousand rubles were spent.
Every year teaching staff was growing, in 1964, there were 368 teachers, among them 32 people had a degree, or more than 8 percent. KHPI each year was taking new teachers from all over the country: Moscow, Leningrad, Sverdlovsk, Novosibirsk, and Vladivostok. In 1963, 91 people came, in 1964 - 87. Since 1963, postgraduate students started to appear in the Institute: 12 people considering postgraduate students studying on the industrial partnership programs, in 1964 - 28 people, in the same year S.V. Masuk and L.P. Kupriyanov defended their dissertations. Every year since 1960, the institute had conducted conferences - 107 scientists presented the results of their scientific work in 1964. The publishing of the institution has begun, several collections of scientific papers has been prepared and published in the first decade of the institute.
In 1967 16 teachers of the Institute successfully defended their candidate dissertations. Students were also actively included into scientific work. In the same year they have took an active part in the Intercollegiate Conference of student course projects in Leningrad, in the zonal competition of student works in Vladivostok, in the social sciences - in the Institute's conference on the 50th anniversary of Soviet government. A commemorative conference was organized on the 10th anniversary of the KHPI, during which the results of studies of more than 100 people were presented.
By its first anniversary university was built and, in 1967, construction was completed, and it was entirety adopted by the state commission. At their disposal, the collective had educational and laboratory buildings, six student dormitories, dining room, garage for 25 cars, 70-apartment residential house. In 1967, KHPI had ten departments: Mechanical, Construction, Chemical engineering, Automobile, Motor roads, Forest engineering, Economy, Evening and extramural, General technical in Blagoveshchensk. Training of engineers was conducted on 18 of the most important economic specialties of the region. In the same year, graduates totaled in 2,867 people, the admission of students - 2625 for full-time study - 1500. The team of teaching staff increased significantly: 33 chairs had 570 teachers, 6 chairs had postgraduate studies. Khabarovsk Polytechnic Institute announced himself as one of the leading educational institutions of the Far East. Years of maturity and development were ahead of it.
Features of the industrial development of Khabarovsk region defined specialization of the Institute for the training of engineers for the automotive, wood, forestry and engineering industries. The prospect of further development of the forest industry made it necessary to expand training of engineers and technical staff from among the local youth. For the first time in the Far East KHPI began training engineers in specialty “Vehicles, machinery for wood industry”, in 1965 - the specialty “Chemical technology of the pulp and paper industry” was opened, in 1966 - the specialty “Machines and devices of pulp and paper production” and “Economics of Forestry”. Forest Engineering Faculty was divided into two: Forest Engineering and Chemical Engineering.
Specific conditions of construction of roads and railways (especially BAM), complex terrain of Far East region increased the need for engineers to design, build and operate bridges and tunnels. Road Faculty has opened a chair of “Roads and Bridges”, and in 1971 began training in the specialty “Bridges and Tunnels”. In 1976, the first engineers in this specialty graduated.
New specialties opened in the other chairs. In 1966, training was provided to staff in the field of “Internal Combustion Engines”, “Water supply and sewerage” and a variety of engineering and economics specialties. New chair – National Economy – was opened.
In the late 60’s there was an urgent need to train engineers for the Magadan region, as experts from the European part of the country, distributed to the Far North, were not prepared to work under specific conditions, making it difficult to adapt them and gave rise to a large turnover. All this led to the creation of Magadan branch of the Khabarovsk Polytechnic Institute in 1975. In 1976 it opened full-time Institution with an annual intake of 100 majoring in “Industrial and civil construction”, “Automobiles and automobile equipment” also preparatory department started its work.
The branch Institution organized three-year courses in a number of geological and mining majors, engineering, and energetics. Student completed their education in other universities of the country.
An important concern of management was to improve the quality of training. Almost every year KHPI was opening new chairs. In the 60-70’s region felt a general need for expertise in automated control systems, whose level of training determined the effectiveness of the use of computer technologies. In September 1967, the Scientific Council of the Institute had decided to open several chairs, including the “Automation and automation of manufacturing processes”.
Of course, the level of training depended on the composition of Professors and teaching staff. Teachers with advanced degrees and titles were only 8-9 per cent of all. Therefore, the problem of providing university with highly qualified staff had been leading in the work of administration and the Board of the Institute. Preparing of scientists went through postgraduate school, through the involvement of experts from the industry and appropriation of their academic rank to Assistant Professor, scientific conferences, individual training for students who were prone to research. The Institute had a great potential in solving the problem. The vast majority of teachers were very young. Only 3 percent of staff had more than 10 years of experience in teaching, 63 percent had less than 5 years of higher school work experience.
Every year a significant number of teachers enrolled in graduate schools of leading universities. The graduate school of KHPI was also working. Almost all meetings of the Board raised issues in graduate education and training of candidates for the direction of the target graduate, discussed plans for transfer to individual learning of the most able students, bringing them to a research work with the subsequent direction of the graduate school. Favorable conditions for applicants to graduate were created in school for a successful preparation for the exams.
In 1968, the target postgraduate school trained 58 students, 12 of them were graduates of KHPI, 4 – people from industry. KHPI’s graduate school was training 17 students. Although, the plan in graduate school has been carried out only in half.
Each year, faculty was replenished by young candidates of sciences. So, in just two years (1966, 1967) 18 Ph.D. dissertations were defended.
In 1968, the target graduate school received N.I. Pluzhnikov, M.F. Pakhomkina, S.S. Bormotova, E.M. Shel'deshov, S.G. Lisak and others. After finishing it, they successfully defended their theses. Now they are leading university lecturers, excellent administrators.
An important source of qualified teaching staff of the Institute was attraction of the best-trained professionals from production. For example, in 1967 it was decided to recommend HAK to the give title of Associate Professor to G.A. Volkova, lecturer of “Heat and ventilation” chair. Under her leadership, undergraduate students drafted the plan of heating and ventilation of the foundry plant "Energomash", Spassky URMM, ventilation and air conditioning systems of many companies in Khabarovsk and Primorye territories. Thanks to her initiative the “ruler of engineer Panyushkin” has been implemented and a number of other proposals were made to facilitate the work of designers and increase their productivity.
Increasing the number of scientific personnel has allowed the institute to establish not only the release methodological guidelines training manuals for students, but also of scientific papers that are in demand among specialists. Head of chair "Machine parts and TMM" M.L. Erikhov, working on the theory of meshed gears, has created a new technique. Requests for his work came from several foreign countries.
In the first half of the 60’s two collections of scientific papers were published depicting the results of scientific and technical conferences, a collection of "Forest Engineering" was released, 33 scientific articles in technical journals and four books were published.
Khabarovsk State University of Technology
The year of 1992 was a milestone for the KHPI. In December, it enhanced his status: it was named the Khabarovsk State Technical University. New page was opened in the history of the university, which had yet to become a university on the matter. Rector's Office and Academic Council have developed a comprehensive program for the development of KSUT until 2000 (approved on March 12th, 1993). The program planned to increase the share of people with scientific degrees and ranks among researchers and teachers to 60 percent, and Doctors and Professors –up to 3; undertake further work to improve the structure of specialties due to the development of various specializations and training on individual plans, to expand educational services , introduce new teaching technologies, strengthen basic, humanitarian, computer training; organically combine teaching and research activities of teachers and students, strengthen the material base.
Creation of scientific schools, the expansion of the fundamental and exploratory research, and the development of contractual research - such targets have been identified by the program. Youth policy and social development also found their spot in this program.
Professor M.P. Danilovskiy was selected as a Honorary Presidents of KSUT, board of trustees was created, consisting of the big business executives and administrators, alumni of the university. Main purpose of the Council was to promote the further development of the university: the renewal of the material base of educational and scientific processes, the implementation of social programs.
Time has shown that the program has correctly identified the priorities. In 1994, the preparation of lawyers have started, in 1995 a set of first-year students at the 9 new specialties was admitted: “Mathematical methods in economics”, “Information systems in state and municipal government”, “Information systems in engineering”, “Design of technological systems “, “Social work”, “Design of architectural Environment”, “Land management”. In 1995, a regional center of additional education was created. All this made it possible to expand the scope of educational services on a contract basis, to enhance the prestige of the university.
The amount of research increased significantly, especially in the field of fundamental disciplines and innovative projects. Centre for Research in the field of computer technology has become NIIKT. Since 1995, the university held a competition for the best research work; the winners are awarded with a scholarship named after honorary President M.P. Danilovskiy. Their first winners were teams led by A.G. Zarubin, V.I. Kulish, Ri Hosen and V.K. Bulgakov. The works of N.P. Kradinov, A.G. Podgaeva, Hyo Kang Chera, Chie Yen Un, Y.A. Lurie, N.A. Erzakova, and V.A. Lasko were also noticed for their effort.
In 1993 the doctoral dissertations were defended by B.S. Zadohin, A.I. Klimkin, N.P. Ketova, V.I. Kulish; in 1994 – V.A Knyr, V.A. Lasko; in 1995 – A.I. Yarmolinsky Chie Yen Un, R.V. Namm, V.D. Epaneshnikov; in 1996 – S.V. Lyubimov, A.G. Podgaev; in 1997 – S.N. Ivanchenko, O.G. Ivanchenko; in 1998 – A.P. Ulashkin, I.F. Yarulin, L.E. Blyaher, V.A. Kravchuk, V.B. Strikha, S.I. Klepikov, N.T. Kudinova; in 1999 – I.L. Belozyorov, G.B. Gorelik, K.T. Pazyuk, A.G. Ivachnenko, L.F. Wren, S.V. Soloviev, S.V. Say; in 2000 – M.N. Shevtsov, V.A. Ivanov.
International relations of the university were enshrined by the contract on cooperation with more than 30 foreign universities, scientific and technical centers and firms, companies from China, South Korea, Japan, USA, and Canada. Regional center for the development of international relations with the countries of the Asia-Pacific region was opened.
On the 40th anniversary of the university in 1998, the museum was created. Museum of History and Development of the University. Here, in a small area it briefly covers the history of the main stages of its development of the school from the road to the Polytechnic Institute and Technical University.
Thanks to the leadership of the rector V.K. Bulgakov and participation of the Chairman of the Board of Veterans N.T. Savelyev the museum was opened in the short terms. The council of the museum was created, which was headed by Vice Rector S.N. Savkov, and L.A. Burceva was appointed as museum’s first director.
For two incomplete years, the museum was visited by more than 2500 students, teachers and guests of the university, who met the brightest pages of the history of the university, its interesting people, and the first teachers of the first graduates. Every year in the days of memory M.P. Danilovskiy, on October 14-16, visitors get more familiar with the biography of the first President.
After turning forty Khabarovsk State Technical University, despite decreasing funding has kept the hope for the future: to strengthen its resource base, for further development of research, increasing the qualification of the teaching staff, refreshing of the range of specialties.
The university has about 750 teachers, among them 52 Doctors of Sciences, 346 Ph.Ds of sciences and Associate Professors, 13 honored workers of science, technology, culture and high schools that teach more than 10.5 thousand Russian students and young people from China, South Korea, United States, Japan and Thailand.
The structure of KSUT includes next institutions: Road, Forestry, Architecture and Construction, Information Technology, Transport and Energy, Economics and Management, Law; next faculties: International, Mathematical Modeling and Control Processes, Extramural.
The University has an extensive network of research units, including the management of research, about 20 research institutes, centers and laboratories in various fields of science and technology, expert centers, graduate school in 33 areas of science, dissertation councils for doctoral and master's theses.
Particular attention in recent years has been paid to equipping the university with computers. Only in the last 3 years 345 personal computers were acquired, and now it is total of 700 units, so every nine students have a computer.
A big step in the field of information work was done with the opening of the center of telecommunications networks in RANNET. This provided access to the internet for all 28 local networks of high school. 30 business units received access to the global information network. Center solved the problem of creation and unification of the information space of universities in the region.
The university is training highly qualified personnel in 39 specialties and specializations. New specialties appear in synchrony with demands of the labor market. The new school year is scheduled to open training for more students in 8 specialties, among them: “Information systems in the economy”, “Technology of artistic processing of materials”, “Linguistics and Intercultural Communication”, etc.
The University worked hard to attract the best talents and only vocationally oriented young teachers. Under the current Department of the Formation of a Contingent of Students University had six classes in secondary schools of Khabarovsk and fourteen branches in the province, including Mukhen, Vanino, Chegdomyn, Nerungri and Sakhalin. In Khabarovsk, in the transport Lyceum (school number 63), in business school (school number 86), in "Polytechnics" (school number 22), a small forest academy, architectural high school (school number 15) classes are held in the form of extracurricular activities.
Special attention President and Academic Council paid to the development of scientific research, which is the main factor in improving skills of the teaching staff.
Fame and appreciation in Russia and abroad have been received for the work of the university scientists in the fields of modeling of fluid mechanics, turbulence, mechanics of deformable solids, crystallography, combustion theory, the calculation of the thermal field of the crust and lithosphere of marginal seas, software development for solving tasks of nuclear physics.
There was a progress in the establishment of diagnosis of machine tools in the areas of application of composite materials, surface hardening of machine parts and to increasing their wear resistance, development of new building materials on the basis of existing production waste, improvement of product quality of ferrous and non-ferrous metals, the integrated use of forest resources, environment protection and environmental management.
The university formed scientific schools, which were well known in prestige academic circles. They were headed by Dr. V.K. Bulgakov, V.A. Knyr, B.S. Zadohin, V.D. Epaneshnikov, A.G. Zarubin, V.A. Lasko, A.V. Alexandrov, R.V. Namm, A.G. Podgaev, A.E. Zubarev, M.M. Tretyakov, A.I. Klimkin, A.I. Yarmolinsky, V.I. Kulish, Ri Hosen, A.D. Verkhoturov, and A.P. Lonchakov.
Save academic schools, raise scientific research to a new level – those are the tasks that the management of the university was solving every day. It used several sources for funding the research, competitive selection of their subjects; research potential was used to find the solutions to the problems of the region, for the development of scientific and industrial innovation.
University scientists were engaged in research in several national and regional scientific and technological competitive programs such as the “Conversion and high technologies”, “University science - to the regions”, “Informatization of higher education”, “Support for small businesses and new economic structures in science and research services in higher education”, “The export of technology and international cooperation” and others. The scientists of the university in 1998/99, carried out the works funded by 12 grants.
In conditions of severe financial constraints a high level of scientific work helped to preserve and enhance the scientific potential. Over the past seven years 30 doctoral and 75 master's theses were defended at the University. Yet in 1999-2000 9 doctoral and 23 master's theses have been defended.
Students were also actively participating in research activities. The University presented about 500 papers at various competitions, exhibitions, conferences during 1997-1999. More than 100 awards were received for them, including the Medal of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation, a trip to Japan, 4 diplomas of the International Student Forum of the Asia-Pacific region, eight Award winning diplomas and four diplomas of regional festival "Student Spring", fourteen diplomas of regional architectural competition, twenty-four diplomas winners of International show-contest.
Every year in mid-October pass the days dedicated to the memory of Professor M.P. Danilovskiy. At the meeting of the Academic Council the best students are awarded with diplomas and scholarships from the fund, named after M.P. Danilovskiy, prizes for the best teaching methods and research work are also awarded.
Traditions established by the first generations of students, are maintained and developed by modern students. The university has a program of amateur creativity, which is carried out in stages during the school year. It includes the vocal competition "The Golden Voice", humor contest, reading contest, the festival "University spring." Graduate balls have become traditional to students. Many sports are cultivated in the University despite all financial troubles and constrains. These are: boxing, basketball, football, wrestling, our athletes occupy leading positions in the city and the region.
Like any complex organism KSUT is in a constant state of creative research and development. Do not lose the achievements, to be one of the outposts of education, science and culture in the Far East – are routinely solved by the management and all faculty members of the Khabarovsk State Technical University.
Pacific National University
In 2005, Khabarovsk State University of Technology, by the Order of the Federal Agency for Education №170 from 23.03.2005 was renamed to Pacific National University. University, for nearly a half-century of its existence, has gone from industry institution (in 1958) to a large scientific and cultural education center of the Far East of Russia with the status of university.
Nowadays, Pacific National University is:
- 13 faculties (School of Engineering and Construction; School of Ecology and Nature Management; School of Architecture and Design; School of Transport and Technology; School of Economics and Management; School of Social Studies and Humanities; School of Fundamental and Computer Sciences; School of Automation and Informational Technologies; School of Law; Department of Extramural Training; Department of Extension and Parallel Training; Department of Further Professional Training.);
- more than 21 thousand students in 59 specialties, 32 areas of undergraduate studies and 26 areas of graduate studies;
- fundamental and applied researches in more than 20 scientific fields;
- Over 800 researchers and teachers;
- 10 theses councils: 2 “Candidate Councils” and 4 “Doctoral Councils”
- postgraduate courses in 40 specialties and doctoral studies;
- the possibility of obtaining the diploma of foreign partner university while studying at the university;
- research library, with book fund of 1,6 million items where more than 700 people can work simultaneously, 70 workstations have electronic access to the collections of the university library and Internet resources;
- A number of research units: the Khabarovsk Regional Center of New Information Technologies, Research Institute of Computer Technology, Far Eastern Coordination and Information Center, Regional Inter-university Centre for International Cooperation, Far Eastern Intercollegiate Center for collective use in the field of construction, Khabarovsk branch of the regional department of the departmental cadaster; PNU’s Center –“Stroyispytaniya”, the test center "Serting" and others;
- 12 offices all around the Far East Region.
The University makes a significant contribution to the development of science in the Far East.
The main areas of research at the Pacific National University:
- research in mathematical analysis, differential equations and the theory of functions;
- numeric modeling of problems in the field of continuum mechanics and geophysics;
- study of the interaction of electromagnetic radiation and matter;
- standardization and quality control of products;
- measuring and computing and management tools and systems for information processing, information systems and technology, design of automated information systems for various applications;
- research in the field of nuclear physics;
- research in the field of historical and legal regulation of economic development of the Far East;
- organizational, legal and administrative problems of combating offenses and economic crimes, attacks on public order and personal security;
- systems of training of highly qualified specialists;
- economic and social problems of the Far East;
- technology innovation and entrepreneurship;
- research and development of computer-aided design facilities of new technology and process engineering, construction, chemical and forestry sector;
- new materials and technologies for their production and use;
- improving the design and manufacturing processes to improve quality, reliability and durability of machines and mechanisms;
- more efficient use of vehicles and improvement of their performance;
- design of industrial and civil buildings and structures;
- problems of management and organization of production;
- research and development of technologies for harvesting, deep processing of wood and biomass and restoration of forest reserves;
- research, design and development of technologies for the construction and operation of transportation facilities;
- environmental problems of nature and the environment;
- the development of acute problems of higher education.
In recent years, scientists of PNU have produced world-class results in the fields of theoretical physics, magneto-optics, laser technologies, microprocessor technologies, non-destructive testing of new materials, law and many others. Many applicative developments of the university are being actively introduced into production. The results of research projects are actively implemented in the industry of the region. Technologies of using the Far Eastern raw mineral materials for the production of new materials are developed and are actively used. Large effects on the economy edges give the applied research in the field of information technology, the development of modern methods of construction and operation of transportation facilities, machinery and metallurgy. Three employees of the university are awarded with Prize of the Government of the Russian Federation in the field of science and technology.
An important area of research is solving the issues related to environmental management and protection of the environment, in particular the problem of pollution of the Amur River basin, which increased dramatically over past few years.
The University is implementing active innovation policy. In 2005 PNU created innovation center, on a competitive basis for the grant of the creation of the office of commercialization. A technology transfer center in the Khabarovsk Region was created on the basis of PNU. Active innovation policy is also carried out inside of University.
Much attention is paid to student research work. Annual competition of student research papers and student conferences bring together about 1200-1300 people. Abstracts are published after the conference; papers are being published in a separate collection of articles. Every year more than 3000 students are involved in various forms of Scientific Research Programs. For 5 years, more than 450 students received diplomas, awards, prizes, certificates of participation in contests, competitions, conferences and exhibitions at various levels. Several student design bureaus were created.
The University is actively involved in integration with scientific institutions of FEB RAS. The participation of academic units in the learning process improves the quality of teaching at the university, has provided substantial assistance in the establishment of new areas of training. Joint research centers and laboratories with the Institute of Marine Technology, Mining, Institute, Material Science Institute, NGO Dalstandart and many others are conducted.
The University is engaged in active international cooperation in scientific and educational programs, exchanging of faculty members and students, engaged in the joint research project, carries out scientific and technical conferences. The graduates of our University and Chinese universities are able to obtain two diplomas: Russian and Chinese. Cooperation with universities in Japan and South Korea is gaining strength. In recent years, ties with Western European universities are developing actively. Over the last 6 years PNU is working closely with Saarland University (Germany). In 2005 Russian-German Institute of Information and Computer Sciences was created on the basis of PNU, which provided academic training for masters programs and carried out joint research projects.
Considerable attention is paid to the university informatization. Currently, the PNU has formed powerful information and education complex including: local University network, external distributed network, automated system for managing the learning process, automated system of university management, library complex.
You can get more familiar with the history of the university in the section "Museum of PNU".